Buyer (Edgewood, MD)
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected.
We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big.
Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues,that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets.
Smiths Detection is a global authority on the application, management and manufacture of world-class detection and screening technology. We deliver the solutions you need to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics.
Known for our best-in-class expertise, equipment and support, customers rely on Smiths Detection to help them make the world a more secure place. With over 40 years’ experience, our mission is to use technology to develop innovative solutions and services which uphold the free flow of trade and make the world a safer place.
Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.
Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled.
So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
To review purchase requisitions and create / maintain purchase orders in line with MRP messages to meet the factory plans created by the Master Scheduling Manager whilst minimizing inventory and production shortages. To interface between the procurement, inventory, production and planning personnel. To be the primary contact with vendors and ensuring supplier performance is measured and corrective actions completed.
The role is a key part of the supply chain network and is the major contributor responsible for the management of raw materials.
• Create purchase orders in line with the Master Production Schedule
• Participate in shop floor reviews to ensure that material availability is clearly communicated
• Pro-actively measure supplier delivery performance and communicate issues to key stakeholders
• Ensure completion of corrective actions to improve supplier performance for assigned suppliers
• Implement materials management strategies and drive raw material inventory reduction to achieve inventory turn goals
• Use best practice techniques to determine effective lot sizing for raw materials
• Use best practice techniques to determine effective safety stock and re-order point levels and update accordingly
• To evaluate and communicate material recovery plans when shop floor output falls behind the plan
• Addresses issues associated with purchase price and quantity variances to ensure timely payment of invoices or return of merchandise.
• To support the Material Review process (MRB) and execute transactions in a timely manner
• Insures adherence to U.S. Government and Agency rules and regulations including FAR, DFAR and other agency supplements
• Lead and provide support and best-practices to develop global and local purchasing processes
• Provides global supply chain reporting and analytical support as needed.
• Participate in continuous improvement initiatives to develop and support the purchasing activities of the Supply Chain Management team
• Complying with and promoting all relevant legal requirements & Smiths policies and procedures, including business ethics, data protection and health & safety
• Other duties may be assigned.
Education/training: Essential: Educated to associates level
Desirable: APICS, IBF, or similar related accreditation
Experience: Desirable: Worked as a buyer in a complex manufacturing environment, familiar with multl-level BoMs and experienced in high volume / low mix and low volume / high mix product ranges.
other attributes: Essential: Commercially astute and able to manage a diverse supply base.
Desirable: Knowledge of Detection business sector, including competitors. Membership of relevant professional bodies. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and highly numerate. Knowledge of SAP R3 ERP system, strong analytical, and presentation skills