Regional Continuous Improvement (CI) Specialist (Edgewood, MD)
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected.
We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big.
Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues,that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets.
Smiths Detection is a global authority on the application, management and manufacture of world-class detection and screening technology. We deliver the solutions you need to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics.
Known for our best-in-class expertise, equipment and support, customers rely on Smiths Detection to help them make the world a more secure place. With over 40 years’ experience, our mission is to use technology to develop innovative solutions and services which uphold the free flow of trade and make the world a safer place.
Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.
Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled.
So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
Drive Lean Manufacturing initiatives for functional area in support of establishing a continuous improvement culture. Promote Lean systems and culture through training, mentoring, coaching and facilitating; be a change leader in the Americas organization in cooperation with all functions and departments. Identify continuous improvement strategies supporting overall business goals and growth strategies.
SPECIFIC DUTIES, ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Provide Lean training, mentoring, coaching, and facilitation for functional teams:
• Drive kaizen events, 5S, visual management, and structured problem solving
• Provide change agent leadership and coaching at all levels of the Americas organization
• Assume ownership of Improvement initiatives and results – driving to closure and effective escalation as needed
• Apply root cause problem solving techniques (8D, Rapid Problem Solving, Shainin, etc.) in support of Plan Do Check Act (PDCA) cycle
• Facilitate and lead meetings and events
• Provide proactive CI communications and leadership for the Americas
• Educate and support the workforce on lean transformation techniques which will lead to achievement of future state targets while also providing key deliverables in the areas of first time quality, cycle time reduction, cost reduction, waste elimination, increased capacity and improved efficiency.
• Support metrics and communication on safety, quality, cost, delivery and all relevant KPI’s
• Develop manufacturing strategies and goals in support of the organizational operational excellence strategy
• Use Lean manufacturing practices as guiding principles to foster a continuous improvement culture that strives for balance of respect for people and reduction of waste, resulting in performance improvements
• Embed the culture (strong link with CI lead people):
o Own and develop CI toolkit (behaviors, systems and tools)
o Develop and provide training (SES Modules)
o Run Gemba walks focused on behavioral norms & systems
• Drive the Policy Deployment Process and support Macro plan execution
o Facilitate PDM – Policy Deployment Matrix , macro plan sessions and lean events
• Drive SES (Smiths Excellence System):
o SES Knowledge Portal
o SES Academy
o Align with Global CI as the Americas Detection Representative
• Ensure consistency of the use of CI tools and systems
• Ensure standardization of the application of CI tools across the Americas
• Support division or other functions as required
• Benchmark (internal & external) processes
• Bachelor of science degree or equivalent experience
• Minimum 5 years lean or continuous improvement experience
• Green Belt certification preferred; Black Belt certification is a plus
• Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
• Excellent team facilitation skills
• Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement and train others
• Ability to mentor and facilitate lean culture change
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate between and communicate with cross-functional departments and across all organizational levels
• Effective problem solving skills
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio and Outlook. Knowledge of Minitab, Microsoft Project, and SAP is preferred but not required.
• Project management skills, ability to develop a deployment plan, execute, and deliver results
• Lean Manufacturing, Continuous Improvement demonstrated knowledge and skills.
Ability to take responsibility for directing and managing change. Can explain clearly the future state and provide direction, focus and drive during the change process.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure, and successfully manage multiple responsibilities.
• Flexibility to work in an office environment as well as manufacturing environment. May require extended periods of time to stand, walk and/or sit.
• Travel may be required for training and collaboration with other sites up to 10%
Primary work area is located in Operations where there is no exposure to unusual elements