Associate Hardware Engineer (Edgewood, MD)
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge.Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected. We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation.By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big.
Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues,that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets.Smiths Detection is a global authority on the application, management and manufacture of world-class detection and screening technology.
We deliver the solutions you need to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics. Known for our best-in-class expertise, equipment and support, customers rely on Smiths Detection to help them make the world a more secure place.
With over 40 years’ experience, our mission is to use technology to develop innovative solutions and services which uphold the free flow of trade and make the world a safer place.Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.
Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled. So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
- Provide technical support, subject matter expertise, and project management oversight for selected projects or technology development and demonstration efforts related to imaging technologies, including x-ray, millimeter wave, and computed tomography modalities.
- Represent Smiths Detection in technical evaluation and data submission efforts (RFI, RFP, Industry Day, and Various Evaluations).
- Assist with or lead effort in preparing and approving Requests for Proposal (RFP), Requests for Quote (RFQ) and Requests for Information (RFI), and apply Company’s decision criteria for accepting and rejecting RFP, RFQ and RFI opportunities.
- Support and lead internal validation demonstrations, third party testing and support customer evaluations as needed for Smiths Imaging systems to succeed in Americas and global market.
- Design and assemble mechanical, electrical and electro-mechanical parts and assemblies based on requirements provided by scientists and engineers, or self-performed analyses.
- Maintain and communicate status of projects within the management team. Work independently using written feedback, general standards, and guidelines, without excessive reliance on redlines or specific, per-drawing direction.
- Comply with and ensure department compliance with Company health, safety and environmental policies.
- Design and test new hardware and equipment to meet customer specifications or in-house project requirements, and participate in all aspects of development from initial planning to production.
- Analyze design plans and project requirement data to create comprehensive testing procedures to verify that components and features operate correctly and meet operational benchmarks.
- Coordinate with global project managers, and engineering teams personnel to resolve technical issues during development, testing and production.
- Create and execute testing protocols to document and ensure compliance of Low Energy Imaging products with customer requirements, including creation of test articles, simulated threat materials, and introducing test articles into the systems to generate datasets.
- Test existing hardware components, including processors, circuit boards and network equipment, to define operational parameters and recommend necessary upgrades and replacements to meet current and future performance standards.
- Oversee manufacturing and production of new hardware, including development of operational prototypes, to verify compliance with design plans and testing procedures.
- Ensure new hardware systems and equipment work correctly with computer software programs according to performance requirements, and modify hardware as necessary to address errors and other concerns.
- Document configuration management activities (changes and initial releases) within a product lifecycle management tool (specifically Teamcenter by Siemens) as part of the overall workflow process.
- Support Design Reviews as held by various engineers for LEI products. Other duties may be assigned.
- BS, MS degree in engineering or related technology field.To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Effective verbal, written, and presentation skills at all levels of the organization.
- Self-starter with ability to maintain task ownership with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage cross-functional teams in a matrix environment and influence people outside of direct reporting relationships.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project.
- Knowledge of Access and Visio is also recommended.Ability to learn and use other computer based information systems and software (e.g., SAP, risk management)
- Ability to travel up to 25% including travel to foreign countries.