Field Service Technician I (DFW)
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected.
We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big.
Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues,that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets.
Smiths Detection is a global authority on the application, management and manufacture of world-class detection and screening technology. We deliver the solutions you need to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics.
Known for our best-in-class expertise, equipment and support, customers rely on Smiths Detection to help them make the world a more secure place. With over 40 years’ experience, our mission is to use technology to develop innovative solutions and services which uphold the free flow of trade and make the world a safer place.
Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.
Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled.
So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
As a level one Field Service Technician, this individual must be team oriented and flexible, and actively seek to share information and assist their peers. Possesses solid communication skills, both oral and written. Demonstrates good electronic repair troubleshooting methodology and maintains at least an intermediate technical level of product knowledge. Ability to read and follow electrical/mechanical schematics to assist in isolating fault to root cause component/assembly. Cross trains on products serviced in the field, and displays basic proficiency in servicing the Trace, X-Ray, CT X-Ray and Cargo Inspection Systems product lines. Willingness to work on special projects, some of high visibility, as assigned. Looks for common-mode problem occurrences and seeks to resolve, both independently and with the aid of others. Has a working knowledge of business PC applications (MS Word, Excel & Power Point) and able to effectively use them to provide clear, concise information summaries as needed.
Troubleshoots, services, installs (deploys) and repairs Trace, X-Ray, CT X-Ray and Cargo Inspection equipment at customer sites. Maintains field service log and filing system to properly initiate, organize and maintain all field service and job files until work is completed Demonstrates initiative and dedication through positive use of downtime and an overall willingness and eagerness to consistently exceed customer and company requirements. Conducts follow up calls with the customer to ensure satisfaction of work.
SPECIFIC DUTIES, ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Responsible for meeting daily service repair needs and driving customer satisfaction
- Installs, repairs and maintains equipment in the field; provides customer training as required.
- Documents all inspections, maintenance, repair work and submits paperwork in a timely basis
- Order, install, and return parts and manages repair parts cycle time
- Reviews all logs for open issues and prepares formal reports to customers as necessary.
- Participates in Service Sales opportunities and assists with promoting and implementing revenue programs.
- Ensures that tools and test equipment are properly maintained and calibrated
- Assesses product/equipment performance based on field support data; recommends modifications or improvements.
- Seeks to provide technical support to customers and other service professionals as required.
- May participate in site surveys, pilot program service activities, attend meetings
- Possesses basic technical knowledge on the company’s Trace and X-Ray technologies.
- Maintains clear and concise business communication, both oral and written
- Establishes and maintains a close relationship with senior level FSE’s and Product Managers in order to support the needs of the customer and remain aware of current technical trends.
- Exercises every available measure to control and minimize costs.
- Travel, overtime and work hours other than Monday-Friday may be required.
- Comply with and ensure department compliance with Company health, safety and environmental policies.
- Comply with all applicable U.S. export control and security regulations.
- Other duties as required.
- Associate’s Degree/Related Trade Certification (electrical, electronic, mechanical)/Military Training (electrical, mechanical, electronics). (Equivalence achieved through comparative work and life experience of 1-3 years is acceptable work experience in a related electrical or mechanical field service role). Computer literacy; competency in use of all programs within MS Office Suite and aptitude for learning specialized software programs.
- Minimum of 1-3 years experience directly involved in troubleshooting and field repair of electrical and electronic systems and equipment.
- Individuals shall possess excellent communications skills and have a strong orientation for customer focus and teamwork. Must be responsive to all customer issues at all times. Must be willing & able to travel at short notice.
- While supervision is not considered a primary responsibility of this position, there may be instances where supervision of others on a project basis may be required
- This position requires Sensitive Security Information (SS) access and vetting via the TSA. Applicant must successfully pass a federal background investigation.
- Possess excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal skills with the ability to multi task several projects at once.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to handle stressful situations.
- Self-motivated, reliable, and accountable individual
- Possess excellent telephone skills
- Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs.
- Must be able to push/pull 200 lbs.
- Must be able to move/ manipulate equipment weighing up to 1000 lbs. with the assistance of carts, hoists, davit cranes, pallet jacks or other devices as defined in the manuals and Technical Advisory documentation.
- Job requires frequent bending, stooping, twisting, turning, and working in unusual positions requiring full body mobility.
- Must be able to work safely and follow safety precautions in extreme environments (temperature, humidity, noise, confined spaces, etc.) around dangerous industrial equipment.
- Work environment is typically considered to be wherever the customer of concern is located. Service will typically be rendered at airports, correctional facilities, courthouses, cruise ships or other locations as required.