District Manager ( Mid Atlantic Region)
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected.
We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big.
Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues,that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets.
Smiths Detection is a global authority on the application, management and manufacture of world-class detection and screening technology. We deliver the solutions you need to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics.
Known for our best-in-class expertise, equipment and support, customers rely on Smiths Detection to help them make the world a more secure place. With over 40 years’ experience, our mission is to use technology to develop innovative solutions and services which uphold the free flow of trade and make the world a safer place.
Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.
Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled.
So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
The District Service Manager manages the service activities of the field service teams to include: Area Supervisors, Field Service Technicians and Third Party Representatives within their geographical territory.
The District includes a specific portion of a Region, and may include several states and/or territories. Coordinates various service activities e.g. new installations, repairs, preventative maintenance; manages work schedules to ensure appropriate support is maintained as required. Manages field service teams to consistently meet or exceed performance metrics (PM completion, call resolution and closure, mean time between critical failures, etc). Responsible for driving customer satisfaction within the territory. Works closely with other Smiths functional organizations to assist in providing robust customer solutions, while providing integral feedback of customer service requirements. Provides leadership on complex projects involving multiple technical and administrative disciplines. Drives increases in incremental revenue and identifies cost containment opportunities within the Region. Forecasts and controls various budgets and delivery schedules on a district and per project level. Develops and manages critical account escalation procedures in callobaration with applicable service program manager(s). Monitors and manages training and development of technical staff. Mentors field service team, identifies team members’ strengths & weaknesses, visualizes development needs and works with Training Manager as required. Actively manages cross-training of team and schedules accordingly. Creates performance evaluations and recommends change based upon departmental need.
The position requires strong leadership and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse work staff. The individual must be capable of decisive and prudent action in the absence of direct managerial guidance.
• Responsible for the delivery of service needs and driving customer satisfaction within the District
• Assists in other program areas when business needs arise e.g. TSA, FedEx, FPS etc.
• Establishes and maintains a close relationship with the Sales Manager(s) within the territory to present a unified business posture
• Actively manages cross-training of team and schedules accordingly
• Manages a high performance Field Service team
• Meets or exceeds performance metrics for all customers and products
• Creates and manages operating budget. Meets or exceeds revenue and profitability targets
• Reviews all open issues and prepares formal reports to customers and managers as necessary
• Participates in Service sales opportunities and assists with promoting/ implementing revenue programs
• Interviews, selects, trains and mentors new employees, including on-going assessments
• Possesses an intermediate level of technical knowledge on the company’s products. Has the skill and flexibility to be able to switch from one product to another as needed
• Travel and work hours other than Monday-Friday may be required
• Comply with and ensure department compliance with company health, safety and environmental policies
• Comply with all applicable U.S. export control and security regulations
• Other duties as required
- Bachelors Degree or 5 years of related technical experience is required. Bachelors degree is preferred (technical or business field). Equivalence achieved through comparative work and life experience will be considered. Computer literacy, competency in use of all programs within MS Office Suite and aptitude for learning specialized software programs.
- Minimum of 5 years of Service/Service Management experience of a large territory. Additionally 5 years directly involved in troubleshooting, field repair or technical support activities centered on electrical and electronic systems and equipment. Proven customer relationship management experience. Excellent product familiarity and demonstrated troubleshooting and repair proficiency is required.
- Individual shall possess excellent communication and problem solving skills. Timely submission of required documentation is essential. A strong orientation for customer focus and teamwork is required. Must be responsive to all customer issues during non standard work hours such as evenings, weekends and holidays. Must be willing and able to travel at short notice.
- Leads and manages a remote team of Area Supervisors, Field Service Technicians and Third Party Representatives within their geographical territory.
- This position also requires Sensitive Security Information (SS) access and vetting via the TSA. Applicant must successfully pass a federal background investigation.
• Possess excellent organizational, communication (verbal and written), and interpersonal skills with the ability to multi task several projects concurrently
• Excellent customer management skills and the ability to handle and diffuse stressful situations
• Self-motivated, reliable, and accountable individual
• Possess outstanding telephone and interpersonal communication skills
- Work environment is typically considered to be a home office, corporate office or a customer site. Service will typically be rendered at airports and other customer sites. Additional sites may include: jails, courthouses, cruise ships or other customer locations as needed by the business. Typical travel requirement is between 25%-50% to support field service personnel and customer relationships.