Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Account Manager (Washington DC)
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected. We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big. Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues,that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets. Smiths Detection is a global authority on the application, management and manufacture of world-class detection and screening technology. We deliver the solutions you need to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics. Known for our best-in-class expertise, equipment and support, customers rely on Smiths Detection to help them make the world a more secure place. With over 40 years’ experience, our mission is to use technology to develop innovative solutions and services which uphold the free flow of trade and make the world a safer place.Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled.So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
This position will assume responsibility for the sales of Smiths Detection's products to the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for all subordinate agency. Additional responsibilities include execution of all aspects of the sales process to attain profitable growth within the account set.
SPECIFIC DUTIES, ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Management and expansion of the account relationship. The Account Manager (AM) shall create/expand relationships throughout the entire account set in order to fully understand DHS needs and develop solutions to meet the needs.
- Close new business orders with existing set of accounts to meet or exceed the Sales quota assigned. This quota shall include both a booking and revenue component so the AM will oversee the Order to Invoice (OTI) process to ensure revenue is recognized on time and on budget.
- Provide oversight, guidance and support to any and all members of the Integrated Account Team (IAT) to ensure all aspects of the accounts are managed properly.
- Work with channel partners to exploit any/all contract vehicles required to sell products to the account set. This effort shall include not only work with existing channel partners but also the research, identification, and inclusion of new channel partners.
- Engage the Smiths Group Government Affairs team to ensure proper funding availability for the account set to enable the purchase of Smiths Detection products.
- Create a five-year rolling sales plan for the account which will contain both the qualitative and quantitative information required to capture all available sales opportunities. The sales plan will be updated annually and executed throughout the year.
- All other aspects of the sales process, including:
- Prospecting and identifying potential opportunities
- Arranging and conducting product demonstrations
- Participating in trade exhibition/conferences
- Creating quotations for customers/prospects
- Coordinating major proposals for the assigned account
- Coordinating the review of Delivery Order Requests from DHS and responses to the same.
- Managing the Sales forecast for the account set.
- Participate in product/sales skills training as required.
- Participate/contribute to internal Sales meetings.
- Apply CRM processes to ensure a systematic approach to the management of current and future customer relationships including sales, marketing, customer service, and technical support.
- Ensure self and departmental compliance with Company health, safety, and environmental policies.
- Comply with all applicable U.S. export control and security regulations.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience and demonstrated success in sales account management within a disciplined sales environment in the B2B marketplace or technical product management with an emphasis on customer interface and communication
- Experience selling high-technology, homeland security-related systems and equipment. Federal acquisition and procurement process experience, especially within DHS preferred. Must have demonstrated success selling CBRNE and/or screening application products.
- Experience working with/managing channel partners to capture new business opportunities.
- Self-motivated and proactive approach to managing key accounts.
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship with customers/prospects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to present information in front of a large group.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- This position requires United States Citizenship
- Has or able to obtain a Security Clearance with ability to maintain at least a Secret clearance level
- No direct reports
- Will be required to travel domestically, at times up to 50% of the month
- Ability to think strategically and develop strategic plan
- Ability to work independently
- Deal with different personalities and overcome communication barriers
Individual’s primary workstation may be in an office setting or at home office. Individual will travel frequently and work at internal Smiths Detection offices, customer, and/or prospects’ office or at trade shows.