Director Government Contracts and Compliance (Edgewood, MD)
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected.
We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big.
Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues,that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets.
Smiths Detection is a global authority on the application, management and manufacture of world-class detection and screening technology. We deliver the solutions you need to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics.
Known for our best-in-class expertise, equipment and support, customers rely on Smiths Detection to help them make the world a more secure place. With over 40 years’ experience, our mission is to use technology to develop innovative solutions and services which uphold the free flow of trade and make the world a safer place.
Smiths Detection, Inc. participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program.
Smiths Detection is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled.
So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
Smiths Detection is seeking a Director of Contracts and Compliance to work in its Americas in-house legal department in Edgewood, Maryland to manage the contracts and compliance department supporting all areas of government contracting. Creates, implements, administers and enforces all policies, procedures and activities required for the organization to operate in accordance with the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
The successful candidate will be engaged to perform the following tasks and assignments:
• Actively participate in the development, monitoring, and management of company policies, process, and procedures as they relate to legal, contracts and compliance matters
• Actively participate in Account and Corporate strategic growth initiatives
• Leads a team supporting cradle to grave oversight of government contracts, subcontracts, and compliance management functions inclusive but not limited to proposal support, contract administration, contract close-outs, audit support, due diligence efforts, and other related duties as assigned
• Primary liaison between external contracting and subcontracting offices and the organization
• Directs and participates in the development of bid strategies and coordinates efforts to produce winning proposals consistent with approved strategies and applicable Government regulations
• Operates as the primary point of contact for the receipt and delivery of major proposals and related communications; coordinates efforts with company business development
• Drafts, negotiates and finalizes contract and contract documents with contracting officers and other contracting representatives to ensure consistency with the solicitation and proposal
• Assist in the development of contracts processes and procedures related to government procurement regulations and industry standards
• Acts as interface with external contracts and legal professionals and government officials and communicates using good business judgment with a focus on a win-win position
• Lead, manage, and enhance the company’s contract and subcontract functions by providing proactive strategy and operational discipline.
• Support the Sales and Program Management community by offering solutions and guidance to mitigate business risks while balancing the needs of the business
• Provide accurate interpretation and implementation of all contractual and applicable U.S. Government regulations, including DFARS, NAM, and NFS
• Implement corporate processes and procedures for drafting, negotiating, and finalizing contractual terms and conditions, NDAs, consultant agreements, teaming agreements, TAA, etc.
Government Contract Compliance
• Provide advice, strategy, information, and guidance to senior management with respect to contract and subcontract management as it is affected by laws, regulations, and government agencies and industry trends
• Partner with government finance compliance to support audit requests and respond to government inquiries
• Partner with company trade compliance office to support import export requirements under EAR and ITAR
• Ability to communicate using proper technique and forum across all levels of the organization to include using good management judgment when speaking at various levels of the organization
• Ability to coach and mentor contracts and subcontracts team to foster an environment of high performers, continuous professional growth and development
• Excellent communication skills to include effective listening and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build credibility and maintain relationships with internal and external customers
Law Degree, Master’s degree, and/or a Bachelor’s degree and equivalent related work experience
• 20+ years’ experience in Federal Government Contracting and Procurement
• Minimum of 10 years of managerial experience
• In-depth knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations (DFAR) and related federal and state legislation and regulations
SUPERVISES: Government contracts staff
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office work environment.